On May 14, 2019, the Tarheel Central Chapter MOAA awarded their annual $1500 scholarships to the two JROTC selectees for this year. Awards were presented by I.B. Southerland Maj, USAF (Ret): Scholarship Program Chair of our chapter.
This years recipients were:
Overall Group Commander Cadet Cilia Mariela Espinoza-Roman, Surry Central High School, USAFJROTC
A leading academic student all her four years in JROTC she graduates with a 4.018 GPA, she is the most decorated cadet in her High School's history with activities ranging from rocketry to Salvation Army drives, Surry County food drives, Color Guard and, most impressively, recipient of three National competitive awards for leadership, academic performance, community service, personal appearance, behavior and attendance.
Cadet Commander LTC Missy Duentes-Delgado, Elkin High School, USAJROTC
An outstanding academic student with a 4.52 GPA, she has been active in local and shcool activities such as soccer, cross country and annual Red Cross blood drives. She is destined to attend Stanford University upon graduation.
Each recipient was accompanied by their parents and JROTC representatives from their schools.
On Friday evening, May 12, 2017, the Tarheel Central Chapter MOAA awarded their annual $1000 scholarships to the two JROTC selectees for this year. Awards were presented by MG Bud Mabry, USARNG, Ret. of our chapter. This years recipients were:
Cadet Bradley R. Snow, East Surry High School, USAFJROTC
Cadet Kendra H. Samuels, South Stokes High School, USMCJROTC
Each recipient was accompanied by their parents and representatives from their schools.
Derrik Mahlon Brown of Thurmon, NC
- Surry Central High School – Graduating June 2016
- Will attend NC State in the fall
- He is planning to get a degree in either Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering
- DOB: September 8, 1998
- Parents: Ms. Regina Brown
- AFJROTC for 4 years: unit under the command of LtCol Brian O’Connell, USAF
- Cadet of the Year (Level I & II) 2013 & 2014
- Top AFJROTC Performer – 2015
- AFJROTC Group Commander
- Color Guard Commander
- Raiders Commander
- Kitty Hawk Air Honor Society Commander
- President National Honors Society
- President of the Rho Kappa Social Studies Honor Society
- Quiz Bowl Team Member
- National Technical Honor Society Member
- Mu Alpha Theta Math Honor Society
- GPA (unweighted) 3.86
Samuel Jonas George of Siloam, NC
- East Surry High School – Graduate June 10, 2016
- DOB: May 7, 1998
- Parents: Jack and Vickie George
- UNC Charlotte: Mechanical Engineering, Army ROTC
- Awarded 3 year ROTC National Scholarship at UNCC
- JROTC – 4 years unit under the command of 1stSgt Ronald Montgomery, USA, Retired
- Best 1st Year JROTC Student – 2013
- Senior Patrol leader in JROTC
- JROTC Platoon Sergeant
- Command Sergeant Major
- Battalion Commander
- JROTC Raiders Team member
- Very active in the yearly can food drives with different organizations
- Part of planning & execution of 8 American red cross blood drives
- Various fund raisers to help veterans
- Other charity fund raisers for local students with cancer.
- Eagle Scout in 2013
- Best 1st year scout in 2009
- Assistant Senior patrol leader in Boy Scouts
- Academic and leadership Quiz Bowl team captain
- Member of the National Honors Society
- Member of the National Technical Honor Society
- Cross Country team member
- GPA (Unweighted) 3.72
On April 28, 2012 at the annual Military Dance for the Davie High JROTC program, the Tarheel Central Chapter's CDR Dennis Lennon, USN (Ret.) presented the National MOAA Leadership Medal to Cadet Capt. William Priestley. Open the thumbnail photographs to the right which has CAPT Hank Wade, USN (Ret.) assisting in the presentation. Additionally, our own chapter member, Capt. Joe Clarey of the NC Purple Heart Association presented a Medal as well to another cadet.