Our latest Newsletter has been posted below.
* RSS (Really Simple Syndication or Rich Site Summary) is an easy way for members to receive recently posted News and Events from the Tar Heel Central Chapter of MOAA.
* RSS is for people who regularly use the web and allows you to easily stay informed by retrieving the latest content from sites in which you are interested.
* You save time by not needing to visit each site individually.
On Friday evening, May 12, 2017, the Tarheel Central Chapter MOAA awarded their annual $1000 scholarships to the two JROTC selectees for this year. Awards were presented by MG Bud Mabry, USARNG, Ret. of our chapter. This years recipients were:
Cadet Bradley R. Snow, East Surry High School, USAFJROTC
Cadet Kendra H. Samuels, South Stokes High School, USMCJROTC
Each recipient was accompanied by their parents and representatives from their schools.
Derrik Mahlon Brown of Thurmon, NC
- Surry Central High School – Graduating June 2016
- Will attend NC State in the fall
- He is planning to get a degree in either Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering
- DOB: September 8, 1998
- Parents: Ms. Regina Brown
- AFJROTC for 4 years: unit under the command of LtCol Brian O’Connell, USAF
- Cadet of the Year (Level I & II) 2013 & 2014
- Top AFJROTC Performer – 2015
- AFJROTC Group Commander
- Color Guard Commander
- Raiders Commander
- Kitty Hawk Air Honor Society Commander
- President National Honors Society
- President of the Rho Kappa Social Studies Honor Society
- Quiz Bowl Team Member
- National Technical Honor Society Member
- Mu Alpha Theta Math Honor Society
- GPA (unweighted) 3.86
Samuel Jonas George of Siloam, NC
- East Surry High School – Graduate June 10, 2016
- DOB: May 7, 1998
- Parents: Jack and Vickie George
- UNC Charlotte: Mechanical Engineering, Army ROTC
- Awarded 3 year ROTC National Scholarship at UNCC
- JROTC – 4 years unit under the command of 1stSgt Ronald Montgomery, USA, Retired
- Best 1st Year JROTC Student – 2013
- Senior Patrol leader in JROTC
- JROTC Platoon Sergeant
- Command Sergeant Major
- Battalion Commander
- JROTC Raiders Team member
- Very active in the yearly can food drives with different organizations
- Part of planning & execution of 8 American red cross blood drives
- Various fund raisers to help veterans
- Other charity fund raisers for local students with cancer.
- Eagle Scout in 2013
- Best 1st year scout in 2009
- Assistant Senior patrol leader in Boy Scouts
- Academic and leadership Quiz Bowl team captain
- Member of the National Honors Society
- Member of the National Technical Honor Society
- Cross Country team member
- GPA (Unweighted) 3.72
On April 28, 2012 at the annual Military Dance for the Davie High JROTC program, the Tarheel Central Chapter's CDR Dennis Lennon, USN (Ret.) presented the National MOAA Leadership Medal to Cadet Capt. William Priestley. Open the thumbnail photographs to the right which has CAPT Hank Wade, USN (Ret.) assisting in the presentation. Additionally, our own chapter member, Capt. Joe Clarey of the NC Purple Heart Association presented a Medal as well to another cadet.